You want to develop or renovate your basement house to enlarge and win a new room as a games room, guest room or for a TV room? How to use this place ingeniously with renovations at low cost? While some basements are planned for future development, some are less so and it becomes important to properly assess the subsoil and its potential.
Here are our best tips and precautions when renovating your basement.
1. Before you begin: evaluate your basement!
Before starting renovations in your basement, it is essential to evaluate several things. All basements have not been planned to be developed, so it is essential to check for example if it is not useful to prepare, treat or do some transformations before starting.
Here are some elements to evaluate the scope of work:
- Measure the dimensions of the available space. Check the height of the ceilings taking into account the piping, etc. which could waste space. But also the insulation of the ceiling and the floor. Is it necessary to dig the ground to enlarge the available height?
- Check the state of humidity in your basement. Be careful if you have mold, it may be important to properly isolate your basement before undertaking other renovations. Identify well the source of infiltration and solve the problem before starting the work and risk eventually degrading your facilities.
- Identify your access to the outside: doors and windows. It is sometimes not so complicated to move or condemn some access if they are not needed. Also check the external access required for your type of housing from the authorities. Consider the brightness also in this evaluation.
- Do you have load bearing beams for foundations? Are they apparent? Do not block to undertake renovations, they are usually easily integrated into the decoration.
- Do you have a large space, do you want to make partitions to define one or more rooms? Would you like to add a powder room, which place will be the best considering the existing plumbing access?
- Basements are usually the storage of mechanical systems in our habitat. Check that there are no products or hazardous materials in your basement, if in doubt, have them evaluated by professionals.
These few considerations will allow you to evaluate the possibilities of your basement and then focus on the organization of renovations.
2. Find solutions adapted to your basement!
Each basement of a house can have different characteristics. Do not get discouraged at the first hurdle. There is a solution to everything.
- If the ceilings are not very high, but you already have a concrete floor, you can still paint it to avoid losing height with the installation of a floating floor for example.
- If there are some exposed pipes, you can hide them by the insulation system or even paint them to properly integrate them into the decoration. It is also possible to hide them by a system of cupboards for example.
- Think about sewage disposal if you install a powder room, a minimum slope is required.
- Be up to standard in your renovations to avoid problems for example in regions with seismic problems.
- Think about your future work from the rest of the house during your basement renovations. It would be a shame to have to take some of your basement renovations if you undertake an extension to the floor for example. Think of electric additions or easily accessible plumbing in the ceiling, if you want to make changes to the kitchen or bathroom.
- Effectively isolate your basement for nuisance, especially if you dedicate it to a game room or television room. The first floor and ground floor will not be affected by the activities of the basement. Think of the adequate insulation also of the walls and the ground so as not to have too much expenses to heat this space.
- Think about the electrical system of your basement, if it is not done yet. It is recommended to have an electrician for this step and be up to date in terms of safety standards. Do the same for plumbing, if you are not an expert!
- Evaluate the budget, at this point it can be interesting to call on a contractor or interior designer, who can often save money by their good advice.
In short, undertaking renovation work in your basement requires a good evaluation at first, good advice and good ideas. Even if you are a do-it-yourselfer, it is recommended to make sure you are up to standard in electrical terms and for plumbing work.