A favorite of renovation works and neat wall decorations, fiberglass has no equal to hide the imperfections and irregularities of our interior walls … It is still necessary to master the art of laying fiber of glass. Since the technique is accessible even to Sunday’s DIYers, the editorial tells you how to apply fiberglass in 5 steps.
Our 5 key steps:
– Before laying fiberglass: we equip ourselves
– Laying wallpaper: site preparation
– How to put fiberglass? The art of cutting
– Put fiberglass: we glue
– Place to pose the fiberglass
1. Before installing fiberglass: we equip ourselves!
If the technique of laying the glass fabric is easy and accessible, it requires a special tool. Before you start preparing the site, make sure you have all the necessary equipment:
– A roll,
– A carpet brush,
– A cutter,
– Lead wire,
– A sponge,
– A seal,
– One meter,
– A rule
– A pencil,
– A marbling brush,
– A stepladder …
Without forgetting of course the fiberglass of your choice as well as a special glue fiberglass.
2. Fiberglass: site preparation
Before laying fiberglass on a wall, it is best to prepare the site:
– To clean the wall: before being covered, the wall must be clean, dry, smooth and uniform. Dust it, leach it and flatten it by quenching, if necessary, cracks and holes with filler.
– Prepare the glue: mix the glue evenly by referring to the manufacturer’s instructions, then leave to rest.
– Draw the markers in pencil on the wall: using a meter and a lead wire, they will allow you to position your first fiberglass lége (and the following ones) in a perfectly perpendicular and vertical way.
3. How to apply fiberglass: the art of cutting
This is the starting point for cutting the glass cloth into strips called les.Your mission, if you accept it:
– Measure the height of your walls: to determine the precise size of the strips to be cut.
– Determine the dimensions of the tiles to be laid: you add a precaution margin of 5 cm at the top and bottom of each band (the falls will be cut once the glass sheet glued to the wall). To your calculations!
– Cut the strips: using a cutter and a ruler to obtain sharp cuts.
4. Fiberglass: glue
Coat the wall with special glass-fiber glue to glue the first layer with a roller (for surfaces) and a brush (for angles). To do this, be sure to:
– Load the roll / brush: and hop: in the glue pot! For perfect adhesion, the glue layer must be generous.
– Spray any excess glue: thank you the edge of the glue pot …
– Coat the wall from top to bottom: so that the glue is spread vertically over the entire laying surface.
– Glue in a progressive way: For optimal wall decoration, gluing should be done as the tiles are laid to prevent the glue from drying out. It avoids sticking the entire surface of the wall at once.
5. Fiberglass laying
The laying of the first fiberglass bed determines the success (or not) of the whole operation.
So we breathe a good shot and stay focused … Objective of the operation? Glue the first side vertically to the wall. To do this, you will take care of:
– Lay the fiberglass strips from the top of the wall.
– Follow the markings on the wall in step 2 of this article.
– Allow the margin of error to exceed a few centimeters in the ceiling and skirting boards.
– Rub with a carpet brush to remove air bubbles and excess glue.
– Wipe any excess of glue with a damp sponge.
– Cut the excess fabric at the skirting board and the ceiling with a cutter or a knife.
Now that the first leg of fiberglass is installed, are you allowed to take over?